Garbage Disposal Repair & Installation
One of the most popular household conveniences is none other than the garbage disposal. It’s a useful tool that grinds up food into small pieces to form a slurry that is then carried by water through the pipes. However, if your Long Island or New York Metropolitan Area home’s garbage disposal becomes jammed or clogged, it can escalate quickly into a huge plumbing problem. Garbage disposals can become damaged if non-food items get caught in the appliance, such as utensils, straws, or sponges. Clogs can also be caused by certain food items, such as grease, fats, bones, or highly fibrous foods (like celery). Furthermore, a clogged garbage disposal can lead to clogs further down the drain line.
Garbage Disposal Repairs
CityWide Sewer & Drain plumbers are on call 24/7 with repair and installation services that will not only address all of your garbage disposal issues but will extend the life of your garbage disposal for years to come. Common garbage disposal repairs include:
- Jams. Hard-to-grind items or excessive food prohibit blade motion.
- Humming. The motor or impellor of your garbage disposal may be burned out.
- Nothing Happens. The unit might need to be reset or have its connection checked.
- Leaks. Worn out seals allow waste and odors to escape, potentially causing wet work areas or health concerns.
- Won’t Drain. The unit may not be chopping food the way it should and therefore excessive waste may have clogged the drain pipe.
Garbage Disposal Installation and Replacement
If you need an existing garbage disposal replaced, or a new garbage disposal installed, our CityWide plumbing experts can recommend the most efficient unit that takes into account your household needs and budget. We will install the unit and the necessary plumbing, and ensure that the unit is properly connected to the power source and your plumbing system.
Tips to Avoid Garbage Disposal Issues
Once your garbage disposal is repaired or newly installed, follow these helpful guidelines to avoid problems down the line:
- Make sure the disposal is running when you put food into it. Don’t wait until it’s full before turning it on.
- Run only cold water through a disposal to avoid overheating the motor.
- Avoid putting stringy, fibrous or starchy waste into the unit. Examples of items that cannot be sufficiently broken down are poultry skins, celery, fruit and potato peels.
- Never pour fats, cooking oils, or dressings down drains as they solidify inside of pipes.
- Rice, pasta, and other starchy side dishes expand with water, which can block the flow of water through drains.
Garbage Disposal Repair & Installation Near Me on Long Island and NYC
Call Citywide today to schedule Garbage Disposal Repair & Installation Services on Long Island & NYC: 1.800.310.2564.